Re: [help-texinfo] hyphenation with texinfo

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] hyphenation with texinfo
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:03:25 +0100

---------- Initial Header -----------

>From      : address@hidden
To          : address@hidden
Cc          : address@hidden
Date      : Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:06:41 -0500

>     Can you help me to set Italian hyphenation in texinfo?
>
> I'm afraid this isn't easy.  Here is one crude method that might work,
> although I'm not completely sure:
>
> 1) Run LaTeX on the following file:
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[italian]{babel}
> \begin{document}
> \showthe\language
> \end{document}
>
> This will show some integer -- for the sake of argument, say it's 18.
>
> 2) Insert
> \language=18
> as the very first line of your Texinfo document, before the
> \input texinfo.
>
> I'll be interested to know if this works.  It depends on your plain.fmt
> being dumped with the same hyphenations as latex.fmt, so there's lots of
> room for problems.
>
> karl

I tried your suggestion on my debian system.
First of all, I attach the output of your .tex code:
---start output of latex----------------------------------------
alpha:~/latex# latex test.tex
This is e-TeX, Version 3.14159-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
entering extended mode
(./test.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for french, german, ngerman, bahasa, bas
que, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish,
 italian, latin, magyar, norsk, norsk, portuges, romanian, russian, slovak, slo
vene, spanish, swedish, turkish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/italian.ldf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.def))) (./test.aux)
> 14.
l.4 \showthe\language

?
----end output of latex-------------------------------------------
integer value is 14, isn't it?

Then I insert \language=14 at top of my .texinfo file. To my great surprise
texi2dvi generates
.dvi document without hyphenation (I tried some intergers, 2,3, ...).  This  new
situation is better than previous, at least  I don't have  Italian words  broken
using incorrect hyphenations.

plain.fmt and latex.fmt are binary files. Do I need to regenarate them?

Do you have other suggestions to have a complete solution?

many thanks for your help,
   tullio

Libero ADSL: 3 mesi gratis e navighi a 1.2 Mega, senza costi di attivazione.
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it