[help-texinfo] managing the dir node

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: [help-texinfo] managing the dir node
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:21:09 +0100

Hello all,

the distribution I use on my personal computer does the following each night:

rm -f /usr/share/info/dir
find /usr/share/info /opt/*/info/ -type f  2>/dev/null |
grep -v -E -e "/dir$|-[0-9]+$" |
while read x ; do
        { install-info --info-dir=/usr/share/info $x 2>&1 ; } |
                egrep -v 'no info dir entry in|already exists, for file'
done

Is that practice OK?  I suspect it is not, as my dir file contains this

Individual utilities
* autoconf: (autoconf)autoconf Invocation.
                                How to create configuration scripts
* diff: (diff)Invoking diff.                    Compare 2 files line by line.

before the following:

Software development
* Autoconf: (autoconf).         Create source code configuration scripts.
GNU packages
* Diff: (diff).                 Comparing and merging files.

Consequently, ``info diff'' and ``info autoconf'' doesn't get me to the
top node of that manual.

What is the right way to fix this?  Where could I find and empty dir file,
which would contain all the base categories, in the right order?

Thank you in advance for any help,
        Stepan Kasal