[help-texinfo] Indices in XML output

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: [help-texinfo] Indices in XML output
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:21:55 +0100

Hallöchen!

I don't understand how indices are supposed to get into XML output.
Apparently printindex and the index term are passed verbatim (which
is good).  However, the index name is transformed according to the
@synindex rules.  Thus, if I have

@synindex kw cp
@kwindex Hallo

this yields

<indexterm index="cp">Hallo</indexterm>

in the output.  Since all @syn{code}index commands are not passed to
XML, the information about the index term's origin is lost in XML
output.  This means that I have to format it wrongly.

I tried to modify the source to have the index attribute
untransformed and syn{code}index passed to XML, but this failed more
or less because I don't understand the source well enough.  (For
example, how to add more output XML elements.)

Besides, I don't know what the actual plan is.  For example, there
is an <indexdiv> element mentioned in the source, but what is it
supposed to do?

Thank you!

Tschö,
Torsten.