Re: [help-texinfo] Re: texinfo.xsl not working

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: texinfo.xsl not working
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:05:14 -0400

    You said you'd like to have an encoding attribute, I say that this
    is not necessary because the default encoding (according to the XML
    specs) is UTF-8 anyway.

My viewpoint, too.

    You said you want to get rid of entities, I say they don't hurt
    since XML is an intermediate format.

My viewpoint, too.  Thanks Torsten :).

In my view, the XML output should remain 7-bit (except for actual
characters in the input file).  Outputting real UTF-8 characters will
only make development and debugging much harder.  In particular, I won't
be able to do much of anything with "real" UTF-8 binary files, and
unless someone else appears on the scene to be the maintainer, I need to
be able to.

Alper (and Ralf), I don't yet see that numeric entities have any
particular advantage over the situation now, Torsten has explained some
functionality that will lost, and it will complicate the code.

Ralf, in general I don't yet understand what exactly you're objecting
to.  Sure, of course most of these characters are in Unicode and we are
going through some indirection.  What does this hurt?  It is useful.

karl

P.S. Alper, you are right about @titlepage, it appears in the XML output
now.  Sorry I forgot about that.