Re: [help-texinfo] Texinfo 4.8 make issues under Mac OS X 10.4.1

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Texinfo 4.8 make issues under Mac OS X 10.4.1
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:58:32 -0400

    /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/../../../libc.dylib
    (getopt.So) definition of _getopt

    ../lib/libtxi.a(getopt.o) definition of _getopt in section
    (__TEXT,__text)

On other systems, a definition in a .a will normally be used in
preference to a version in a dynamic library without error.  That's one
of the things dynamic libraries are for.  Maybe there is an option you
can pass to ld to change the behavior?

It's puzzling, since I had the impression that texinfo has been
previously compiled on macosx, but I guess I don't know for sure.

In any case, if macosx really provides GNU getopt in libc (but I rather
suspect it is BSD getopt, which won't help), you could remove the getopt
files from libtxi_a_SOURCES and am_libtxi_a_OBJECTS in lib/Makefile.in,
rerun configure and make.  But that won't help with the last error:

    /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
    /sw/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
    /sw/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset

which is reporting a conflict between two system libraries.  Surely
-lintl and -liconv should both be able to be linked against.  So I don't
know what to suggest about that.

Sorry I can't help more.  Maybe a Mac user here can give better advice.
Failing that, posting on a mac porting list might be your best shot.

Karl