Re: [help-texinfo] producing index with texi2dvi

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] producing index with texi2dvi
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:57:20 -0700

On 23-May-06, at 10:53 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

    I've avoided our "macros.itexi" until now

I understand :).

I've also avoided the Makefiles until now.  :)

    should I be using any command-line options other than
    texi2dvi --batch -E lilypond.texi

I do not know.  Maybe Jan or one of the other Lilyponders can help,

Unfortunately they seem to be busy. And complaining about this broken code in CVS. (when I do doc stuff, I check the HTML output; since it looked fine, I committed it) :(

if it's not recorded in the Makefiles? That is, if it ever worked at all ...

Well, it did work, (with only a --batch)  but without the -E option.

The situation is odder than I thought. When I run the above command, it produces a bunch of error messages. Many "This command can appear only out of any environment, not in environment @quotation."
and at the end of the build, it says
----
Appendix H [337] (./lilypond.cps [338] [339] [340] [341] [342] [343]) [344] )
(@end occurred inside a group at level 4)

### simple group (level 4) entered at line 24876 ({)
### semi simple group (level 3) entered at line 24874 (@begingroup)
### simple group (level 2) entered at line 24620 ({)
### semi simple group (level 1) entered at line 24613 (@begingroup)
### bottom level
----
(as well as some info on TeX memory usage; everything is within bounds)

I'm not certain if these error messages are new or not, though. The lilypond.dvi does not contain any table of contents or index.

If I run the above command again, I get two additional files:
lilypond.cps
lilypond.fns
(containing some index material -- the first build made lilypond.cp and lilypond.fn)

and the lilypond.dvi contains the table of contents, and index, and looks great. All the error messages are still there. (?)

Completely baffled,
- Graham Percival