Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:36:14 -0600

    Declarations like `char c[]'

I am completely baffled.  @var is meant for metasyntactic variables,
like nonterminals in parser rules.  That's it.

    I therefore assume it is used to handle macros.  It slows things down, and
    creates a lot of ugly terminal output, but isn't otherwise a problem.

If you use etex instead of tex, I believe macros won't require the
auxiliary file.  (There's no other way to get the catcodes right in
original TeX.)

    Yes, with the `Top', `Up', and `Next' references inserted by Emacs'
    `texinfo-multiple-files-update', e.g.,

My advice is, don't use those.  Use implicit pointers instead (so the
@node lines just have the node name).  Much simpler.  Assuming a
"normal" hierarchical manual.

    I call `texinfo-multiple-files-update' function with a positive numerical
    argument, and I always have to delete an extra address@hidden' in the main
    file (`scantest.texi') by hand.

I can't tell you how many years I've been seeing that bug.  Reported it
many times.  I don't know if it'll be fixed in the next release of Emacs
or not.

    It works with `texi2dvi', but `makeinfo' fails:
    c:\Scantest\DOC\TEXINFO//parser.texi:235: Unknown command `'.

I'll look into that.

Thanks,
Karl