[help-texinfo] Re: Multiple function indices

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: Multiple function indices
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:42:54 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

> In general, I'm a believer in "one index".  However, if the functions
> have the same names in both languages, I don't know how they'd be
> distinguished in this case.

In this case, they have different names.

> The only way I can think of at present is to abuse @deftp or @defvr and
> then label the type/variable index as the Scheme (whichever) index in
> the @address@hidden commands.  But maybe you are already using them
> too?

That would seem kind of ugly.  ;-)  We are using address@hidden' a bit,
although no variable index is actually produced currently.

> It would probably would not be terribly difficult to implement commands
> to change the hardwired index used, as in
> @deffnindex xx
> @deftpindex xx
> @defvrindex xx
> where xx is any index name (built-in or user-defined), and the command
> takes effect until the next such @def...index.  But it seems rather a
> complication in an already-too-complicated area.

That would work but it does indeed complicate things a little bit.

> Can you show me the actual manual?  Maybe there's a simpler way.

The manual is that of the latest unstable releases (i.e., 1.7.x):

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/index.html

The index is here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/Function-and-Data-Index.html

Thanks,