Re: [help-texinfo] conditional line-breaks for @example text?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] conditional line-breaks for @example text?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:50:52 GMT

Hi Rick,

    output it results in either truncation, or failure.

Hmm, it should neither truncate nor fail.  It should output the long
line along with an overfull hbox message and black box in the output.
You can omit the black boxes by saying @finalout.

(That is, it might be displayed as truncated because of the page width,
but all the text should be in the output.)

    there any way to "conditionally" break the long lines when the output is
    going to be something where they would be truncated?

Not right now.  Something like that could conceivably be done -- I can
imagine an option to make spaces into an allowable breakpoint inside
@example et al.  Then lines inside @example would break instead of fall
off the right edge of the paper.  I don't see any good way to allow
breaks after N characters (independent of spaces), though.

Usually if an example's lines are longer than what @smallexample allows,
they're pretty long for humans to read too.

One obvious manual solution is to insert @* where you want the line
breaks.

Another ugly option that could be done now is something like
@quotation
@t{first address@hidden
@t{second address@hidden
@t{third line}
@end quotation

Then line breaking would happen.  (Presumably you'd automatically
generate this kind of input, since it would be a pain to type,
obviously.)  I expect there are other variations possible with combining
environments, etc.

Best,
Karl