[help-texinfo] How to make info fail if the topic is not found?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide (IMK)
Subject: [help-texinfo] How to make info fail if the topic is not found?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:32:10 +0200

Hi,

For the past few  years I realized that I use man more often than info,
even though info is actually much more powerful. And I think I can trace
the reason for that down to a single cause: When info does not find a
topic, it shows me the top level of the info nodes instead of failing.

Can I somehow change that?

Essentialy I need these two to do the same:

$ man nonexisting
$ info nonexisting

The reason why dropping me at the top level disturbs so much is that
showing a list implies success, so I look at the file, hoping to get the
information I need, just to be disappointed to see the darn toplevel
node instead of my info *again*.

That really adds up to a lot of frustration over the years…

Is there a config option or so to just fail when info gets a nonexisting
topic? Or even a commandline flag?

Best wishes,
Arne

PS: Is it possible to teach info to remember the line of the cursor in a
given node? That would make browsing back and forth much easier (click
on a link in a menu to go into a subnode, hit u to get back, move to the
Doktorand
Gruppe: GHG

Raum: 435/410
Tel.: +49 721 608-22885