Re: [help-texinfo] using pod2texi and pod2man on the same file

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] using pod2texi and pod2man on the same file
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 23:16:26 +0200

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39:17PM -0300, David Bremner wrote:

> I'm curious about using pod2texi in order to make some existing man
> pages more comfortably accessible to emacs users, in particular proviate
> links from the info manual to various man page.  Unfortunately it seems
> like pod2man and pod2texi have different expectations for the layout of
> the input file. In particular pod2man needs (or more precisely I guess
> man page conventions dictate) an initial =head1 NAME, which causes
> pod2texi to prepend NAME to every section name. Is it possible to work
> around this somehow by passing options? I'm currently using
>
>   pod2texi --output=${dir}/${file}.texi \
>      --base-level=section --subdir=${dir}/texi --preamble=''

If you use --base-level=section, then NAME will be prepended to every
section name, because this case is targeted to the generation of a
manual from more than one pod.  Prepending the name allows to
disambiguate node names, otherwise all the section will contain the same
subsection names that are standards for man pages.

If you want to translate pod files to texinfo files with a separate file
for each input pode file, you don't need any option.

--
Pat