Re: [help-texinfo] preferred way to change output for a macro

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] preferred way to change output for a macro
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:29:29 -0700

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's intentional that redefining a Texinfo command gives a warning.  The
> idea is to use new names if you want different behavior, instead of
> redefining existing ones.

OK, I guess, although that doesn't really seem consistent with
the description of @var and similar macros. [1]

>From what I remember, Texinfo 4 didn't give a warning about
redefining @var. Has anything changed in Texinfo 5 that would
affect how the macro works? (Aside from printing a warning.)
Maybe it's just that the code and documentation were written
by authors with different agendas?

best

Robert Dodier

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Indicating