Re: [help-texinfo] preferred way to change output for a macro

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] preferred way to change output for a macro
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:08:11 -0700

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anyway.  The contemporary question is, should we allow redefinitions
> of Texinfo commands without a warning?  I'm not sure.  In your case, it
> is harmless -- you know what you are doing and what you want. (By the
> way, what specifically is your preferred output for @var?  I'm just
> curious.)  But I can easily imagine people using @macro to unknowingly
> redefine a lesser-known Texinfo command, with consequent confusion down
> the line.

OK, thanks for the clarification. It makes a lot more sense to
me to view @whatever intentionally rather than imperatively
(or whatever the appropriate antonym is) but I'm not in any
position to impose that interpretation, so I'll just accept it as
it stands.

For the Maxima manual, variables are enclosed in angle
brackets, e.g. @var{foo} => <foo>.

best,

Robert Dodier