Re: [help-texinfo] Umlaut strangeness

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Umlaut strangeness
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 21:43:08 GMT

Thank you for your clear email.  You're completely right about email
programs confusing the issue of literal 8-bit or Unicode characters in
contexts like this.

It is definitely possible.  There may be a bug in texinfo.tex in this
regard, or maybe it's the known deficiency.  I'll experiment.

Meanwhile, there is one more test you can try: use the Texinfo sequence
of 7-bit ASCII characters:
  @"U
instead of any literal character.  With or without
@documentencoding, though it should not be necessary in that case.

    because the bookmarks use Latin 1.

Strictly speaking, they don't use Latin 1 exactly, but the encoding that
is used (PDFDOCEncoding) is very close to Latin 1.  (I admit I didn't
actually try to "diff" the encodings, but that's what Adobe says.)  -k