Re: [help-texinfo] (no subject)

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 20:43:06 +0100

On 3 October 2016 at 09:07, Takesi Ayanokoji <address@hidden> wrote:

> So next, how should I distribute these translations?
> Currently, I distribute these manuals paersonaly via github under original
> texinfo document's license.

It's a difficult question and I don't think there is a standard way of dong it.

I'd suggest contacting the developers of the projects in question and
see if they will distribute the translation. It's common for the
translated files to have a suffix like "-jp", e.g. emacs-ja.texi and
emacs-ja.info.

I'm adding the coordinator of the Translation Project on this email to
see if they can give any insight into how translated manuals could be
handled.

> Is this only way? For instance, such man-pages system has
> internationalization support but info-system has or will support
> internationalization system?

No, it does not. I would suggesting installing a file like
emacs-ja.info in a "ja" subdirectory of the main Info directory, and
renaming it as emacs.info, so the full path would be something like
"/usr/share/info/ja/emacs.info". Then if you put "/usr/share/info/ja"
ahead of "/usr/share/info" in the Info file search path, looking for
the "emacs" manual would find the Japanese translation first. I am not
aware of anyone doing this, though. Perhaps it's worth asking the
developers of various GNU/Linux distributions if their packages can be
set up to be installed this way. I think that this method should be
sufficient and no special support for internationalization is
necessary as it is done for man pages.

Another point worth noting is that people do not always want to read
translated manuals: they may prefer to get the original manuals, and
things should be set up so they can do this easily.