Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:47:25 +0100

On 16 October 2016 at 20:36, Per Bothner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Supposed my Kawa manual uses a picture pic1.png.
>
> The texinfo manual says:
>
>    If you want to install image files for use by Info readers too, we
>    recommend putting them in a subdirectory like 'FOO-figures' for a
>    package FOO.  Copying the files into '$(infodir)/FOO-figures/' should be
>    done in your 'Makefile'.
>
> This only discusses installation, but it seems to imply that the
> texinfo source use:
>
>   @image{kawa-figures/pic1}
>
> which means this effects non-Info output as well.

Well, I'm not sure. I don't think it does imply that. The kawa-figures
directory would be for installation only. Thus, if you did do
@image{kawa-figures/pic1}, this might imply installation under
${infodir}/kawa-figures/kawa-figures, just as
@image{more-figures/pic2} might imply installation under
${infodir}/kawa-figures/more-figures. Also, I'm not sure if it's right
to have directories in the argument to @image at all, although I
haven't tried it and maybe it works perfectly. The reason is that the
file is processed as TeX and there are TeX systems for operating
systems with differing types of filesystem. It would be simpler just
to have everything on the one level.

> Or does makeinfo automatically search the FOO-figures directory
> - or is there a recommended command-line option to search Foo-figures?

Not that I know of.