Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 07:52:44 -0800

I don't think we settled on "best practices" for the image naming.

(1) Should figure BAR.png in manual FOO be installed as:
(a) FOO-figures/BAR.png or:
(b) FOO-BAR.png

Another option is a figures directory shared among many packages:

(c) figures/FOO-BAR.png

(Using plain BAR.png in the same directory that may have
multiple info files risks clashing with other manuals.)

(2) Should the FOO.texi source refer to this match following the
installation location, respectively:
(a) @image{FOO-figures/BAR) or:
(b) @image{FOO-BAR} or:
(c) @image{figures/FOO-BAR}

or should the source be plain:

(d) @image{BAR}

In case (d) makeinfo needs to do the filename mapping.
(Having the info reader to the mapping is a bad idea
because the we have to use different conventions for html.)

I'm fine with any of these, though (2d) requires someone to
do the work in makeinfo.  Picking (1a/2a) or (1b/2b) or
(1c/2c) is mainly a matter of updating the documentation.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/