Re: [help-texinfo] HTML output: license notices

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] HTML output: license notices
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 09:41:43 +0000

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 01:38:33AM -0500, Ineiev wrote:
> Would it make sense as a feature request? current GNU website guidelines
> say every page should have copyright and license notices, and I'm not
> sure if including them in comments is the optimal way; at least,
> the boilerplate makes them visible for the reader.
>
> [0]
> https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/gnu-website-guidelines.html#CopyrightGuidelines

It is not a necessity as manuals should have a licence somewhere
in them already, e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/GNU-Free-Documentation-License.html#GNU-Free-Documentation-License

The copyright and licence text in the comment referring to the GFDL is
longer than the statement at the bottom of the page you linked to (using
the Creative Commons licence).  I think it would be too much to have the
full text at the bottom of every page, e.g.

> This manual is for GNU Texinfo (version 6.5.91, 16 January 2019),
> a documentation system that can produce both online information and a
> printed manual from a single source using semantic markup.
>
> Copyright (C) 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997,
> 1998, 1999, 2001, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009,
> 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Free Software
> Foundation, Inc.
>
> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
> under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
> any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
> Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover Texts being "A GNU Manual",
> and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a) below.  A copy of the license
> is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation
> License".
>
> (a) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is: "You have the freedom to copy and
> modify this GNU manual.  Buying copies from the FSF supports it in
> developing GNU and promoting software freedom."

I'd only be in favour of adding new features if there was a good reason
and clear demand for them, as texi2any has too many features already.  I
actually found PRE_BODY_CLOSE by looking at the source code, having
missed it when I looked through
https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/HTML-Customization-Variables.html#HTML-Customization-Variables