Re: [help-texinfo] GNU info reader: why display for links has been chang

From: Aleksey Midenkov
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] GNU info reader: why display for links has been changed?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 00:09:54 +0300

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 5:35 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Aleksey Midenkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:41:10 +0300
>
> I still wonder why links became underlined and lost their numbers. It was very easy to just type 1-9 from
> keyboard and get into what you want. I don't remember when it was changed, but it better variant was in Hamm
> (sorry, no screenshot).
>
> It still bugs me out. As well as this redundant underlining which makes text harder to read. So how to configure
> to return back old representation?

What do you mean by "numbers"?  I don't think the stand-alone Info
reader was ever numbering menu items, if that's what you mean.

Yes, it has numbers. Like I said it was in Hamm for sure (1998) probably until Woody (2002). And then something has happened and numbers became useless asterisks. You can note that 0-9 keys still work (but probably wrong). In case you didn't notice each page has unique address, like "9.2 Specifying a Location", so you could quickly get into it by typing 92. Now it is buggy (for GDB manual) as 9 gets you to page 8. I always used 353 to quickly get into "3.5.3 Shell Parameter Expansion" for Bash. Now I can't do it because I don't remember this combination.

As for losing the underlining, I think this will do it:

  M-x set-variable RET link-style nounderline RET

You can make this the default by editing your .infokey file, as
described in the "Custom Key Bindings" node of the manual.

--
All the best,

Aleksey Midenkov
@midenok