Re: lisp blocks

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: lisp blocks
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 18:19:48 +0900

Thank you Eli.

> On Jan 25, 2020, at 17:04, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:06:01 +0900
>>
>> And since that was not the case, what I did was generate the indentation in
>> a lisp buffer and paste the result within the @lisp block. Since the texinfo
>> processor does not seem to change the indentation that was all I needed to
>> have a properly indented output.
>
> That's right.
>
>> But then, what's the point having a @lisp block ?
>
> See the explanation of this in the Texinfo manual, in the "@lisp"
> node.

I see. I did not understand that part when I first read it. So it is like a
"source block" in Org mode I guess, but since there is only a lisp specific
block in texinfo that will only work for lisp data.

Are there examples of texinfo files used as Lisp libraries ?
Was that an attempt at offering the possibility to write literate code ?

From your other reply:

> No.  It is not the job of the Texinfo processors to indent code in
> @example or @lisp according to the language rules.  On the contrary:
> the Texinfo processors refrain from any changes in the indentation in
> these blocks, they just indent the entire block a little ways, leaving
> the rest to you.  See the description of this in the "@example" node
> of the Texinfo manual.

Ok. It was so ingrained in me that TeX is in charge of the appearance of the
output, and that Lisp is only properly written as nicely indented that I was
expecting/hoping the @lisp block to behave in a way that reflected those
preconceptions.

Thank you for the clarification.

Jean-Christophe Helary