Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 22:09:20 +0100

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 06:26:09PM +0200, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> with the following headings setting (right after "titlepage") in
> EMACS.TEXI (Emacs Manual for version 26.3, tested with TEXINFO.TEXI
> v2017-12-26.21 and v2020-04-14.13):
>
> @heading off
> @evenheading @thispage @| @| @thischapter
> @oddheading @thissection @| @| @thispage
>
> I have problem with heading appearing on (new) chapters pages, but
> only if there are sections present, i.e. when there is a chapter 12
> and on the same page - section 12.1, a heading with chapter (left-hand
> pages) or section (right-hand pages) will appear.  It seems to be also
> affected by "enumerate" and "itemize".  When there is just text,
> heading has only page number.

This seems to be functioning as designed.  The @evenheading and
@oddheading specifications are doing exactly what they were asked to.
The presence of a section (or enumerate) seems to be a red herring: if
you have a new chapter on an even page, then the chapter name will be
printed in the heading (regardless of whether there is a section on that
page).  For example, for the input below, 'Chapter 2: Chap 2' is printed
on the second page:

\input texinfo

@headings off
@evenheading @thispage @| @| @thischapter
@oddheading @thissection @| @| @thispage

@node Register Index
@chapter Register Index

The following lists some built-in registers that are not
described elsewhere in this manual.  Any register that begins
with a @samp{.} is read-only.  A complete listing of all

@node Chap 2
@chapter Chap 2

The following lists some built-in registers that are not
described elsewhere in this manual.  Any register that begins
with a @samp{.} is read-only.  A complete listing of all

Sec tetst.

@bye

(Testing it with a @titlepage before the @headings command didn't change
this.)

There is a special feature to avoid printing the chapter name on the
first page of the chapter, but this is not configurable with the
@*heading commands.  (Internally, texinfo.tex uses a
@thischapterheading macro in place of @thisheading, but this is not
documented.)  If a command like @oddheading is used, this will apply to
all the odd pages regardless of whether a chapter starts on them or not.

> Also, when I use:
> - "@setchapternewpage odd" (before "titlepage") it DOESN'T happen,

Are you sure?  I found that a section name would be printed with the
following input:

\input texinfo

@setchapternewpage odd
@titlepage
Memoirs
@end titlepage

@headings off

@section Foo

@node Chap 2
@chapter Chap 2

The following lists some built-in registers that are not
described elsewhere in this manual.  Any register that begins
with a @samp{.} is read-only.  A complete listing of all

@section Bar

Sec tetst.

@bye

> - "@heading double" (after "titlepage") it DOES happen.

I understand that if this is used after the @oddheading command it will
override it.

> Optional: is there a way to remove page numbers from new chapter
> pages as well?

There isn't.  Of course, it could be implemented, but I'm not sure if it
would be worth it.  (It is not easy to implement anything in TeX.)

I had a look at a few printed books and there seems to be typographical
precedent for not having the page number in the usual place on a chapter
page, so I am thinking that perhaps the page number should be omitted
unconditionally if a @*heading command isn't used.