Re: Setting Page Size and displaying result correctly

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Setting Page Size and displaying result correctly
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 19:51:08 +0200

These are two considerations for Page Sizes as described below.

1. Consistency in applying commands

It is true that the manual says that @pagesizes refers to text-area.
However, it should be remembered that papersizes such as @afourpaper
and @afivepaper always refer to the actual size of the paper. The
default margins will then set the text-area. The manual already says
that setting of margins is considered an elaboration that should
customarily be defined using commands in texinfo.tex.

Just as @afourpaper and @afivepaper always refer to to actual page
size rather than text-area, other settings for page sizes should ideally
follow same rule - User sets the actual page size, and not the size of
the text area.

2. Possibilities for using Texinfo for Screencasts, especially screencasts
that include the display of mathematical expressions.

The difficulty setting a different page size does not crop up for software
manuals.  But the problem crops up when you want to use a texinfo document
for a screen cast.  In such an instance, changing the page size would
be important, because the standard paper sizes make the text too small
for display purposes on the screen.

This would enable texinfo to be used in many other circumstances in addition
to simply writing manuals.

Regards
Christopher