Re: Paper Sizes

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Paper Sizes
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:09:44 +0100

> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 7:52 PM
> From: "Gavin Smith" <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "help-texinfo gnu" <help-texinfo@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Paper Sizes
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:45:18PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > The sizes are useful to display short notes, mathematical expressions,
> > and Code Snippets, that look large on screen (i.e. font size
> > against paper size).  This will alleviate the time spent writing
> > notes for display to an audience or for video communication
> > purposes.  Having things redone so they get displayed with Libre
> > Office or whatever is a waste of time for many people who
> > customarily write their documentation and notes in Texinfo.  We
> > can just insert named macros wihout having to read and decipher
> > what the mathematical expressions are about.  When working with
> > many mathematical expressions it is easy to be overwhelmed by the
> > many symbols of tex.
> >
> > The display has many similarities to how Edward Witten and Cedric
> > Villani use computers for mathematical display in meetings.
> > Working with Texinfo to do my work, using Texinfo to also write
> > short notes would be very useful because many would not need to
> > do additional work.
>
> So like a slide presentation?  (I'm not familar with how the two
> individuals you have named use computers.)

Correct.  Witten is quite unconventional, but we can make that way
as standard.

> The problem is that screens could be any size and shape, and any
> distance from the viewer.  We can't add an infinite number of paper
> format commands to accomodate all the possibilities.  If you used HTML
> instead your content could easily be displayed in any format you like,
> big font, small font, wide screen, etcetera.
>
> I know math support was an issue, but there's now support of MathJax
> in the development version of texi2any.

I fully agree that the problem is the screen size and shape puts demands
for big font, small font, wide screen.

Let's keep for now @bfivepaper and @bsixpaper and I can test the html
version.  But will require some direction on how to do it.

Can you give me an abbreviated summary of commands if you please.