Re: Latest Development Version - @image with @value

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Latest Development Version - @image with @value
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 01:48:42 +0100

> Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 at 12:30 AM
> From: "Patrice Dumas" <pertusus@free.fr>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "help-texinfo gnu" <help-texinfo@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Latest Development Version - @image with @value
>
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 11:43:09PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > Fantastic.  Things age working now.  texinfo.tex is mentioned in the README
> > file.
> >
> > There are three files README, INSTALL, INSTALL.generic.  When reading them,
> > they continue
> > referring around between themselves.
>
> The INSTALL.generic is "out of our control" it is the generic
> INSTALL file for autoconf/automake based packages.  So we add
> a specific INSTALL file for the texinfo specifics in link with
> installing.
>
> > Can there be just one README (otherwise have just one INSTALL file) with
> > abbreviated
> > set of instructions of typical installation, at the beginning?
>
> I am not that convinced that it is a good idea.  The reference to
> INSTALL appears at the beginning of the README and I think that INSTALL*
> are best separate as otherwise the INSTALL specific parts would get in the
> way of having a short README.  As I said above, the INSTALL.generic is
> outside of our control, which makes the only real option merging the
> specific INSTALL in the README.
>
> > Thank you both for bearing with me.  But it was not so clear and quick
> > about what exactly one should do when trying development versions.
>
> It is indeed not clear nor quick.

So we agree

> It seems to me that README-hacking contains most of the information
> (though not about building in a different directory from the source),
> and then the INSTALL file.  It is a bit scattered, but the problem is
> that different persons will not need the same information depending on
> where they come from and need to do (from a release, the developpment
> source, testing or installing).  Also the overall build system is not
> simple, there is an intrinsic complexity that we can't really remove by
> instructions (the whole autoconf/automake/gettext, with two translated
> sets, and additionally some Makefile parts being generated).

And README-hacking. Fuckin hell!!!  And then, it does not contain all the
necessary information.

> It is not so clear to me what/if we need to add more information, people
> testing from the development tree are very few, answering to questions
> by mail could be more efficient than trying to document everything.

I could have got on your nerves, because everything was good on your side.

> That being said, if you have specific ideas of changes to the files, do
> not hesitate to propose, in particular in the form of patches.

Perhaps a document describing what you have said to me (in some text file).
There were similar problems with Gcc in the past, which were eventually sorted
out.  Used to test some very dodgy versions as new standards were being
implemented.

I am in the process of releasing the Gunga Din Software, that is focused on
setting a Gnu System for new users of Gnu-Like.  Will include abbreviated
versions of Gnu User Guide and Gnu Admin Guide.  Could write something there.
But have got to spend some time getting my head around how it would look like,
and that the description works for those who need to understand what to do so
they can get back rapidly to their own work - that's my focus.

You could go through it and decide on whether to include some parts.

Regards
Christopher

> > --------
>
> In general there is also a need to run
> ./autogen.sh
> in the source thee before going into the build directory.

Yes, that's what I had to do.  We can write some of these scenarios
vith typical examples.