No such node or ancher

From: excalamus
Subject: No such node or ancher
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:38:18 +0200 (CEST)

I'm trying to create an @xref to an @anchor.  When clicking the reference,
Emacs says,

"No such node or anchor: x-spot"

I have taken the sample file from (texinfo) Short Sample Texinfo File and
copied the anchor example given in (texinfo) @anchor.  I put the anchor command
in Chapter 1 and the reference in the Index.  makeinfo complains about no
VERSION or UPDATED flags, but is otherwise silent.  Clicking on the reference
takes me to Top and displays the error message.  I would expect it to take me
to the anchor.  Am I doing something wrong?

\input texinfo
@settitle Sample Manual 1.0

@copying
This is a short example of a complete Texinfo file.

Copyright @copyright{} 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
@end copying

@titlepage
@title Sample Title
@page
@vskip 0pt plus 1filll
@insertcopying
@end titlepage

@c Output the table of the contents at the beginning.
@contents

@ifnottex
@node Top
@top GNU Sample

This manual is for GNU Sample
(version @value{VERSION}, @value{UPDATED}).
@end ifnottex

@menu
* First Chapter::    The first chapter is the
                    only chapter in this sample.
* Index::            Complete index.
@end menu

@node First Chapter