Re: texinfo-6.8 html changes

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: texinfo-6.8 html changes
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:42:23 +0100

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:55:59PM +0100, H. Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should not the option be to the other way to preserve the default behavior.

The new behaviour is considered to better for two reasons, one is that
the mini-tocs are considered to have a better usability than menus, menus
where originally there because of the Info output format which has
specific constraints.  The other is that we now allow menus to be
generated automatically in Info, in that case the mini-toc will contain
the same information better integrated in term of formatting.  Therefore
it is considered a better default.

A case where menus can be better is when there are useful descriptions
for menu entries, but we consider that it would not be the default.

--
Pat