Re: Backslashes in macros and texi2html

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Backslashes in macros and texi2html
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:56:10 +0200

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 06:23:43PM +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> \command
>
> Note: command
>
> Note the missing backslash after "Note:".
>
> Unfortunately, LilyPond is still using texi2html, and it is
> difficult for us to switch to makeinfo --html aka. texi2any.

We are preparing for a Texinfo release right now, but for the
following release, it could probably be nice to try to have everything
in texi2any that is needed for LilyPond to switch.  This is a good
time, I think, as the HTML customization API is part of the release,
such that the API is probably somewhat stabilized.  The API is
incomplete, though, customization of translated strings is still
missing, and I think that it is needed for LilyPond but this should
be a good thing to have it in the following release.

> Do you know of a workaround for this? Werner found something
> where the input is changed,
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-10/msg00168.html
> but is there, by any chance, a way to write the @warning macro
> differently so as not to trigger this (apparent) bug?

I do not think that there is a way to change the macro to avoid that
issue.  Another possibility, with change in the input, would be to use
@backslashchar{}command
instead of
\command
in macro argument.  You need to check if texi2html handles
@backslashchar{}, though, I don't remember.

--
Pat