Re: Last(est) Texinfo version that generates HTML4 output?

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Last(est) Texinfo version that generates HTML4 output?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:02:33 +0100

On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 05:08:09PM +0700, Nutchanon Wetchasit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So what I would like to know is: what is the last version of GNU Texinfo
> that its `makeinfo` or `texi2html` utility produces SGML-style HTML output
> which DOES NOT make _any_ use of HTML construct introduced after HTML 4.01?

The current version does not use HTML constructs introduced after HTML
4.01 except for a custom attribute, as far as I can tell.  So normally,
simply setting the DOCTYPE and setting the customization variable that
removes the custom attribute should be all you need to do, like

texi2any --html -c DOCTYPE='<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>' -c
'NO_CUSTOM_HTML_ATTRIBUTE=1' myfile.texi

Some attributes that were dropped in 4.01 strict and readded in HTML 5
may be present, though, but I am not very sure, and I think that they
were still in the transitional HTML 4.01.

--
Pat