Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 18:47:07 +0100

Hi Arsen,

On 1/7/23 23:45, Arsen Arsenović wrote:
Hi Alex,

Alejandro Colomar <alx.manpages@gmail.com> writes:

Check out ``info "(info)Help"''.

That brings me to the same as `man info`.

Hmph, that might be an alias on my system.  ``h'' should take you there,
though.

No. 'h' takes me to `info info`. It may also be due to not having emacs on my system, as Gavin said of 'H'?

[...]

I am reading two problems from this:

1) From a first peek, it's not obvious that there's a tree involved.

Correct.

    I've been given the suggestion of including a tree hierarchy on the
    left side of the screen, if the screen is wide enough, that annotates
    ones position in the info document hierarchy and makes it clear where
    you are and when you move.  Maybe this would help?  Plus, adding a
    section that explains the structure of a Texinfo manual as you
    mention below.

Yes, that would probably help.

2) EMACS isn't that common anymore, and the chance that one is not used
    to it, or that one has never used it, is high.

    I'm not sure what can be done about this without stepping on toes of
    those used to the current info keymap.  My infinite notebook has an
    entry somewhere in it that talks about potentially adding a nano-like

Heh, the only program I uninstall right after installing a clean Debian. :)

    informative panel on the bottom of the screen to inform the
    first-time users of the basics of navigation.  I feel this might also
    draw more attention to the welcome message since it adds a noticeable
    visual element to the bottom of the screen.  Maybe that works?

I think having a pointer to the help is better, since a list of commands could not be comprehensive.

Pointing to H and/or h is enough, I think. H shows me the command keys, which is nice. However, the h tutorial is what could be improved, I think.

[...]

If you could add an alternative mode where it would behave somewhat like
less(1)/vim(1), that would be great.

That's there!  ``info --vi-keys''

This should be added to the manual page. I would expect such an accessibility mode to be there.

Still, I find |less more comfortable, to my taste.

I find some bindings a bit weird. In less(1) or vim(1), right arrow can be used to read text to the right, for example.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>