Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:17:39 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 05:57:29PM +0100, Arsen Arsenović wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I'd expect downstream distros to do that already.  If they don't,
> > maybe Texinfo should (although I'm not sure how to arrange for that in
> > a way that won't make the job of Texinfo release too complicated).  I
> > definitely agree that it would be good to have info.info accompany the
> > Texinfo installation.
>
> Checking Fedora, Debian and Gentoo, it'd appear none of them do that.

For Debian, info.info is in emacs-common-non-dfsg,
"GNU Emacs common non-DFSG items, including the core documentation"
which is in non-free, because of invariant sections.  I do not think
that there are invariant sections in info.texi, but I guess that the
Debian packagers do not try to distinguish each manual in Emacs based on
the specific conditions.  I think that it makes it more difficult to
setup info to depend on a subpackage to be done that would include
info.info only.

Maybe it could be possible to open bugs to have both info readers depend
on info.info in the diverse distributions.

--
Pat