help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] RFC: plans for a gnome GUI [pointer]

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] RFC: plans for a gnome GUI [pointer]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 02:20:44 +0200 (CEST)

hello,

On Thu, 17 May 2001 address@hidden wrote:
> Now I don't want to start a flame war here, but IMHO Gnome support:
> (what does 'Gnome support' amount to anyway - drag & drop ?!)
it's more the other way round, gnome offers a framework, which otherwise
would need to be reinvented...

> Using Solaris here at work, it's next to impossible to compile up
> all the Gnome stuff, especially for software that simply needs
> Gnome libs to compile.
valid point, but I'm sure the gnome libs will become more portable as time
goes by ;-)

> I suggest that if you write anything with 'Gnome support', it should
> always work (albeit with reduced functionality) without Gnome.
well... this becomes hard, if the application is based on some core gnome
functionality (e.g. gnome canvas)

[xxdiff case]
with a tool with xxdiff I agree, it is a bad idea to require gnome, if it
could be done quite easily with gtk+ by having just a few ifdef's.

> There's so much 'Gnome software' that gets little from gnome. If it
> was just 'GTK' software it would be cool. Does Gnome significantly
> exist outside the Linux world ?
not yet... sadly...

> anyway,
> that's my 2 cents used up.
...what about a java based GUI for all platforms not covered by gnome?
(not that I like java that much...)

--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key