help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] SVCD question

From: Kim Helenius
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] SVCD question
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:57:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Patricia Wright wrote:

> This is probably the wrong forum for this but I'm not sure what the right
> forum is.

There are countless faqs and guides on the net concerning basic questions,
for example at http://go.to/doom9 faq sections (there are guides only for
windows software).

> I've just made my first SVCD using vcdimager.  However, 20 minutes takes
> about 400 MB of space.  I believe I once saw someone say on this list that
> you could get 90 min on a SVCD if you were lucky.
>
> My question is what are good ball park figures for MPEG2 encoding?  Is
> 400MB for approx 20 minutes normal or have I seriously screwed up
> somewhere?

I wouldn't go over 50 minutes on an 80min CD but that's only my preference
:) A 80min cd can hold a ~800MB image and the length is controlled by the
video and audio bitrates. For "best" quality I recommend 2500k max VBR
(use the average bitrate to control the size) for video and 224k for audio.

>       PS if someone knows of a tool which will rework a MPEG2 file
> please let me know.  (Ie make it more efficent on disk space)

Any encoder capable of creating an mpeg2 file should be able to open one
and use it as source.

Kim