help-vcdimager

[VCDImager] How to vcdxrip a SVCD in Mac OS X

From: Matti Haveri
Subject: [VCDImager] How to vcdxrip a SVCD in Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:07:00 +0200

I have successfully burned SVCDs in Mac OS X using ppmtoy4m, mpeg2enc, mp2enc, mplex, vcdxgen, vcdxbuild and vcdimager (with MissingMPEG Tools, MediaPipe, VCD Builder and Toast as GUI front-ends).

But how can I retrieve the MPEG2s from the SVCDs if I want to use them later in other projects?

There is a Mac OS X port of vcdxrip but I can't figure out how to use it.

<http://www.afterdawn.com/software/alternative_platforms/
mac_software/vcdimager_for_mac.cfm>

(I'm using Mac OS X 10.1.5 on an unsupported old ยด97 PowerMac 8600/G4 450 so this may also be part of my problem. I can use the Yamaha 4416S CDRW via the external SCSI via Toast 5.2 to burn the SVCDs).

What device name should I use with vcdxrip? FWIW, Mac OS X's Disk Copy reports the CDRW to be disk3 and obviously the SVCD in the drive is disk3s0.

But neither of the following commands work:

./vcdxrip --cdrom-device=/dev/disk3
**ERROR: no CD-ROM image driver available for this
         architecture (darwin5.2/powerpc)

./vcdxrip --cdrom-device=/dev/disk3s0
**ERROR: no CD-ROM image driver available for this
         architecture (darwin5.2/powerpc)

Am I on the right track? Is it just so that vcdxrip doesn't work on this old unsupported Mac? Or do I miss a CD-ROM image driver?

Instead of vcdxrip, I can use VCD Copy X to rip the tracks off of a VCD or SVCD as DAT files.

<http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~nathanst/software/vcdcopyx/>

VCD Copy X rips the SVCD tracks as DAT files. AFAIK these aren't identical to the original MPGs before they were burned on the SVCD because there is some added navigation information, right?

Can I just rename these DAT files as MPGs and reburn the as SVCDs? Or is it better to unmux and remux them before re-using them in other projects?

p.s. I have compiled a SVCD on a Macintosh memo and cookbook at:

<http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on_a_Macintosh.txt>

--
Matti Haveri <address@hidden> <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/>