hurd-devel

Re: time for libio?

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: time for libio?
Date: 29 Nov 2001 16:36:13 -0800

I don't think that much effort is necessary.  We can install a new
libc package now; a system can and should function just fine with both
installed.  Whenever we want, we can compile new (say) fileutils
packages against the new library (which will automatically happen on
any system that includes the new library image), and presto, chango,
those packages will Just Work.  People's apt will automagically
notice, if they try to upgrade that package, that they must install
the new library package, and it will all just work.

This is all possible, because the Debian rule is that when you bump
the soname on a library, it *must* go into a new package, not just a
new version of the old package.

Thomas