hurd-devel

Re: default login shell only on the console?

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: default login shell only on the console?
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 14:44:31 -0500 (EST)

> I think it might be a good idea to restrict the default login shell to the
> console only, and use the normal login prompt for telnet and such.

That should be a local administrative decision.  But personally I don't
care what the defaults are.

> Is there an easy way to ship such a default configuration in Debian, and
> what does need to be changed for that?
> If yes, do you agree that it is a good idea?

It's a good idea to make it easy and clear how to change the behavior as an
issue of local configuration.  I think that all that needs to be done is to
make telnetd run loginpr instead of login.  Perhaps it should be addressed
by calling our login something else and having /bin/login point either to
that or to loginpr, depending on local choice.