hurd-devel

Re: placing console clients and library

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: placing console clients and library
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:01:18 -0400 (EDT)

That all sounds good, except perhaps some of the names.  Most of the input
stuff, and some of the output stuff like fonts, is not really specific to
PCs or VGA.  So if PC keyboards and VGA is what you mean by the "PC
client", then some pieces belong in a more general library of stuff for
(some) console clients.

If what you mean is a client for display hardware and keyboard/mouse input
hardware, then the parts specific to PC keyboards or to VGA should be in
device-specific (which is not to say CPU-specific) file structure.  That
could just be individual files if it's simple enough, or a subdirectory
structure for device code like the structure of the source code in the X
server or in NetBSD's kernel device drivers (Linux and FreeBSD are pretty
haphazard and not very good models about that).

But still I think you may want a bunch of that stuff (fonts, screen savers)
in a library anyway.  I'm thinking of other clients such as a virtual frame
buffer like a VNC server would have.  Everything but the hardware support
would be the same for those, but they're not what you'd call part of the
same PC client.