hurd-devel

Re: pthreads

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:17:23 +0200

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:04:06PM +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> This is indeed the plan.  The only problem that I foresee is that the
> binary interface might change as the rest of the pthreads interface is
> filled in (for instance, adding fields to different structures).

well, as long as it is not integrated into glibc, we can just bump up
soname as often as we want, and make one pthreadX package for each version.
OTOH, as long as it is not integrated into glibc, it probably makes sense
to just have a lot of padding bytes in the structures for future extension
so we don't need to change the ABI too often.  So there is certainly a
solution to that, although it is inconvenient.

If we just keep the pthread stuff local to the Hurd package for now, then we
don't need to do any such stuff.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden