hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Hyperbole for eev users

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] Hyperbole for eev users
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 19:11:43 -0400

Welcome, Eduardo.  I would recommend you continue reading the manual,
especially the parts about impicit buttons and the Smart Keys and that will
clarify some things for you.

> On Apr 21, 2019, at 11:59 PM, Eduardo Ochs <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Let me try to formulate some precise questions.
>
>   1. This section of "HY-ABOUT" mentions "patterns":
>
>      My guess is that there is a list of pairs of regexps/actions
>      somewhere, and that there is a (low-level) way to inspect that
>      list, and to find the pattern that matches the current button and
>      its associated action. How do I do that?

An implicit button pattern is a boolean expression that is part of a button
type.  It may be as simple as a regular expression or a complex Lisp form.  It
returns non-nil when point is within an instance of the implicit button type.
To see the type of a button at point, its action type and all of its meta-data
simply press {C-h A}.  This also shows you what the Action Key will do at
point.  {C-u C-h A} shows what the Assist Key will do.

Many implicit button types are defined in hibtypes.el and action types are
defined in hactypes.el.  hkey-alist is a data structure that contains other
Smart Key contexts-actions and hmouse-alist is similar but for mouse button
presses and drags.

>   2. What is the hook (?) that fontifies the things like "<(button)>"?
>      My guess it that it's `hproperty:but-create'. Is that right?

Yes, that sounds right.

If you really want to understand how the internals if Hyperbole work, you
should master basic usage first, so the concepts are clear, and then study the
code.  It is pretty well documented, but as I told you has evolved over years
and will likely take weeks to understand in depth.

Sounds like you have made some good progress on your interfacing already though.

Bob