Re: [igraph] Invalid (negative) vertex id, Invalid vertex id

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Invalid (negative) vertex id, Invalid vertex id
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:53:00 +0100

I developed an integration betwen igraph and PostgreSQL for calculating the shortest path, but when I pass more than 40000 vertex to the graph, I got this error:

Error at structure_generators.c:77 :Invalid (negative) vertex id, Invalid vertex id

and I have no negative vertex or negative edges.  This is I bug?
We need some more information to answer that. I guess you are working directly in C with igraph. Can you please post us a short code snippet that reproduces the error?

In the meanwhile, all that I can say without seeing your source code is that the error message you see is triggered in src/ structure_generators.c, line 77, which is inside igraph_create. In igraph_create, we check whether the edge list you passed (in the second argument) contains negative vertex IDs or not. Weird things may happen if you pass an invalid pointer there, so please check the contents of the vector you are passing as the second argument.