Re: [igraph] Importing very large graphs in igraph-R

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Importing very large graphs in igraph-R
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:49:51 +0200

Eric,

graph.data.frame() is much slower than graph(), because it uses
symbolic vertex names. Using the low-level vertex ids and the graph()
function should take a couple of minutes for your graph.

Of course, if you have symbolic vertex names, then you will need to
convert them to numeric ids first, but maybe this can be done faster
by hand than graph.data.frame() is doing it.

Best,
Gabor