[Info-gne] stolen crucially

From: Sibylla Campos
Subject: [Info-gne] stolen crucially
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 03:23:12 -0400

He was a man between fifty and sixty, tall and rather thin.
Indeed, the first thought he had was its extreme simplicity.
There was something that chased me - God knows what it was; a sort of animal. And most earnestly I am desirous that he should not know I sent you.
And behind him, did he but know it, stalked the shadow of death. It looks to me like a very pleasant sort of holiday. But its big enough for a man without ambitions. To the clerk who answered: Send a man to pick up Pheeney and bring him here.
Half way through I said I wanted to go out, and, once outside, I bolted. Perhaps it was the geranium red of her lips that, by contrast, gave the illusion of pallor.
Tommy was in no sense abashed, I just happened to call round to see my old friend Stalletti.
Dick, without being extremely wealthy, was in a very comfortable position.
Dick flushed guiltily, but the lawyer went on, without apparently noticing his embarrassment. His linen was speckless; his clothes were the product of a West End tailor. I know because I signed your receipt, she said.
You are certainly the naivest detective I have ever met!
That is to say, he lives nowhere longer than two or three days together. I should have thought you would have remembered his name.
She did not see him, nor did he make himself known to her.
The tritest thing you can do is to eat and sleep.
You see, we arent used to these exciting interludes, and a police visitation gets into ones head. Why dont you stay here tonight and write your story?
Tommy, but in my bright lexicon there is no such word as reform. Now, Lew, let me hear the truth - what was the work you were doing on Tuesday night? Letting himself into his flat, he found it in darkness, and to his surprise Pheeney had gone. Im not being unkind really, she smiled, as he protested.
He took an envelope from his pocket addressed to himself c/o Bertram Cody, Esq.
I knew the man who took it was a foreigner, because you told me so.
Then suddenly he saw a look of understanding come to her face.
Switch off the phone; Im not at home to anybody, however important. Tommy, but in my bright lexicon there is no such word as reform. I was wondering when you were coming into the library. This arrangement he conveyed to Mr Havelock.
Goin to bed, he growled, gathered up his winnings and rose.
She was coolness itself when at last they met.
Dick Martin had seen him in many circumstances, but never so beautifully and perfectly arrayed. Ill give you his history, Mr Martin, so that you will understand it better, he went on.