info-gnu

Release of GNU MPC 1.0 "Fagus silvatica"

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Release of GNU MPC 1.0 "Fagus silvatica"
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:38:04 +0200

We are pleased to announce the release of GNU MPC 1.0 "Fagus silvatica".
GNU MPC is a C library for the arithmetic of complex numbers with
arbitrarily high precision and correct rounding of the result.
"Fagus silvatica" is our first release as a GNU package, and it is
marked by a license change to LGPL version 3 or later for the code,
and GFDL version 1.3 or later (without invariant sections) for the
documentation. Now each line of code is covered by a test.

The new function mpc_log10, and the convenience functions mpc_mul_2si and
mpc_div_2si have been added, and mpc_fma has been optimised to offer
comparable speed to a multiplication followed by an addition (while keeping
the GNU MPC semantics of assuring the correctness of the result to the
last bit). The functions mpc_div and mpc_norm have been rewritten to
return a value indicating the effective rounding direction, as do the
other functions. Several functions have been improved to return a correct,
representable result even in the presence of intermediate over- or
underflows during the sequence of computations.

A few build problems discovered in the 0.9 release have been addressed
in the configuration script. We thank all testers who sent us installation
reports with the release candidate and thus made this release possible.

To download GNU MPC 1.0, please go to
   http://www.multiprecision.org/index.php?prog=mpc&page=download
The file mpc-1.0.tar.gz has a SHA1 hash value of
   20af7cc481433c019285a2c1757ac65e244e1e06 ,
and its GnuPG signature is attached to this announcement.

Please let us know of any issues you may encounter on the GNU MPC
mailing list at
   address@hidden .

Happy coding!

Andreas, for the GNU MPC development team