info-gnu

GNU Chess release 6.1.0

From: Antonio Ceballos
Subject: GNU Chess release 6.1.0
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:08:00 +0100

I am glad to announce the release of version 6.1.0 of GNU Chess.

GNU Chess is a chess-playing program. It can be use to play chess against
the computer on a terminal or, more commonly, as a chess engine for graphical
chess frontends.

This release includes the following features and bug fixes with respect to previous
release 6.0.3:

- Add support for package internationalization based on GNU gettext.
- Include first translations provided by the Translation Team.
- Graphic mode, a new board shape based on the unicode characters
for chess.
- pgnreplay command, similar to pgnload, with the capability of
manually showing a saved game step by step and moving backwards.
- Fix bug in setboard.
- Avoid using 100% CPU in UCI mode.
- Rename the small book.bin as smallbook.bin.

I feel very thankful to all contributors for reporting bugs and providing patches.
For the internationalization support based on GNU gettext, I have received
very helpful advice from the coordinators of the Translation Project as well as
a few translations from the Translation Teams.

The home page can be found at the usual location:
http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/

You can get the compressed sources from a nearby mirror:
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/chess/gnuchess-6.1.0.tar.gz

If automatic redirection fails, the list of mirrors is at:
http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Or if need be you can use the main GNU ftp server:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/chess/gnuchess-6.1.0.tar.gz

The development source can be downloaded from the Subversion
repository at Savannah:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/chess

Bug reports, your kind contributions and any feedback are welcome.

--Antonio Ceballos
GNU Chess team