[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Mon, 04 Jan 2021 19:15:49 +0100
Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.2 (gnu/linux)
I'm happy to announce a new release of GNU Nettle, a low-level
cryptographics library. This includes one new feature, and several
optimizations, see NEWS entries below.
The Nettle home page can be found at
https://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/nettle/, and the manual at
The release can be downloaded from
NEWS for the Nettle 3.7 release
This release adds one new feature, the bcrypt password hashing
function, and lots of optimizations. There's also one
important change to how Nettle is configured: Fat builds are
now on by default.
The release adds PowerPC64 assembly for a few algorithms,
resulting in great speedups. Benchmarked on a Power9 machine,
speedup was 13 times for AES256-CTR and AES256-GCM, and 3.5
times for Chacha. For fat builds (now the default), the new
code is used automatically, on processors supporting the needed
instruction set extensions.
The new version is intended to be fully source and binary
compatible with Nettle-3.6. The shared library names are
libnettle.so.8.1 and libhogweed.so.6.1, with sonames
libnettle.so.8 and libhogweed.so.6.
* Support for bcrypt, contributed by Stephen R. van den Berg.
* Much faster AES and GCM on PowerPC64 processors supporting
the corresponding crypto extensions. Contributed by Mamone
* Speed of Chacha improved on PowerPC64, x86_64 and ARM Neon.
* Speed of Salsa20 improved on x86_64 and ARM Neon.
* Overhaul of some elliptic curve primitives, improving ECDSA
* Fat builds are enabled by default on the architectures where
it is supported (x86_64, arm and powerpc64). To disable
runtime selection, and instead specify the processor flavor
at configure time, you need to pass --disable-fat to the
* The ARM assembly code in this release doesn't work correctly
on big-endian ARM systems. This will hopefully be fixed in a
* Use a few more gmp-6.1 functions: mpn_cnd_add_n,
mpn_cnd_sub_n, mpn_cnd_swap. Delete corresponding internal
* Convert all assembly files to use the default m4 quote
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.
Description: PGP signature
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- ANNOUNCE: Nettle-3.7,
Niels Möller <=