info-gnu

GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu

From: Jason Self
Subject: GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:25:53 -0700

GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu cleaning-up scripts, cleaned-up sources, and
cleaning-up logs (including tarball signatures) are now available
from our git-based release archive:
git://linux-libre.fsfla.org/releases.git/ tags
{scripts,sources,logs}/v6.5-gnu.

Compressed tarballs and incremental patches are also available at
<https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/download/releases/6.5-gnu/>.

The cleanup scripts required no changes from rc7.

Freesh and RPMFreedom, the distributions of .deb and .rpm packages of
GNU Linux-libre, are expected and to have binaries of 6.5-gnu
available shortly.

# Artwork

This release features a new image of Freedo represented as a small
plastic toy.

# Cleaning-up changes in this release

- Reworked cleaning up of iwlwifi to reflect revamp of blob names in
  it

- Adjusted the cleaning scripts to account for cleaned up ARM dts
  files' moving in the "source" tree

- Cleaned up the usual assortment of new dts files that declare
  dependencies on binary blobs

- Updated cleaning up of amdgpu, adreno, rtl8xxxu, and x86
  touchscreen, and of atomisp docs.

- Cleaned up new driver for rtw8851b, and for tas2781 speaker

For up-to-the-minute news, join us on IRC (#gnu-linux-libre on
libera.chat).  For fresh news about GNU Linux-libre, follow our
mascot Freedo in the Fediverse: https://mastodon.social/@freedo

Be Free! with GNU Linux-libre.

What is GNU Linux-libre?
------------------------

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free version of the kernel Linux (see below),
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/

  If you are the author of an awesome program and want to join us in
  writing Free (libre) Software, please consider making it an
  official GNU program and become a GNU Maintainer.  You can find
  instructions on how to do so at
  https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation. We look forward to hacking
  with you! :)

What is Linux?

  Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel [...]

(snipped from Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst)

--
Jason Self, co-maintainer of GNU Linux-libre