info-gnuastro

Gnuastro in Google Summer of Code 2022

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Gnuastro in Google Summer of Code 2022
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 21:03:58 +0100

Dear all,

I am happy to say that Gnuastro has been accepted as part of this
year's Google Summer of Code (GSoC, [1]) with a medium and large
project. This notice is for those who may be interested to apply, or
who may know others who may be interested.

GSoC provides stipends to the awarded contributors for selected free
software projects. The stipend depends on the contributor's country
and project length [2]. Gnuastro has already been awarded a project
for 2020 and 2021. Hopefully we will also get it this time also :-).

  - The medium project (~175 hours) is on calculating distortion
    coefficients in the astrometry package (that is not yet merged
    into the 'master' branch and officially released: its still under
    development, linear coefficients can already be found).
    For more, see [3].

  - The large project (~350 hours) is on writing Python wrappers over
    the core Gnuastro library. Gnuastro's library [4] is written in C
    for its optimal performance, ease and future-proof nature (see
    [5]). For more, see [6].

GSoC Competition is hard: in the last two years, the GSoC awardees for
Gnuastro had already fixed at least one bug, or added at least one new
feature (before the application deadline!). We therefore encourage
those interested to apply to GSoC with Gnuastro to follow the links in
[3,6,7] as soon as possible and get in touch with me to prepare a
competitive application.

GSoC is an international competition, and is primarily aimed to be
done remotely (the stipend will not include travel or accommodation).

The application deadline for GSoC 2022 is April 19th. For more
details, see the announcement page [1].

This is the first year that non-students can also apply to GSoC, see
the "GSoC contributor guide" for more details [8].

Please feel free to share this announcement with anyone
(or community) that you feel may be interested.

Cheers,
Mohammad

--
Tenure track researcher,
Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón (CEFCA),

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/student-stipends
[3] https://openastronomy.org/gsoc/gsoc2022/#/projects?project=distortion_coefficients_in_astrometry [4] https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Gnuastro-library.html
[5] https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Why-C.html