Re: IMAP newbie, not getting any messages

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: IMAP newbie, not getting any messages
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:35:26 +0200

bigfaceworm@hotmail.com (bigfaceworm) writes:

> I read the info pages, and made the following setup:
>
> (add-to-list
>  'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  '(nnimap "umap"
>         (nnimap-address "server.name.com")  ; actual server replaced
>           (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))))
>
> Then I created a group
>
>   G m outlook RET nnimap:umap RET
>
> I was prompted for my password, the group was created, but I never
> get any email.  My outlook session shows several new and unread
> messages
> (all in the Inbox).  I've tried a list pattern like "*" "Inbox" and
> "INBOX*"
> but nothing seems to help.
>
> I don't see any error messages, just "Group nnimap+umap:outlook
> contains no messages"

Well you should look at the gruop nnimap+umap:INBOX if you want to see
the INBOX group ;-)

Also, I think if you really want to look at the nnimap+umap:outlook
group, then you should provide a list pattern that also shows you this
group.

Finally, some IMAP servers don't allow you to create any group,
the group name has to start with INBOX. or INBOX/ or somesuch.  Not
sure whether this is the case here.

Kai