Re: Choosing email account depending on group

From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: Re: Choosing email account depending on group
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:39:54 -0000

pocm@mega.ist.utl.pt (Paulo Jorge O. C. Matos) wrote :

>> You can customize this in the Group Parameters; for example I have in my
>> GP for gentoo-user:
>> ((uidvalidity . "1083499907")
>
> Ah, very nice way to discover which group I'm posting too. Does
> this always work? What's uidvalidity? How can I know what's the
> uidvalidity of a mailing list?
>
> I've done:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '((".*INBOX.ml..*"
>        (address "pocm@netvisao.pt"))))
>
> These recognizes I'm sending to a mailing list and then puts my
> Mailing List email address, however doesn't insert the email
> address of the list, which is done by your config. If that always
> works, it's great. Can you explain it to me or forward me to
> somewhere else?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Paulo Matos
>
>>  (to-list . "gentoo-User <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>")
>>  (subscribed . t)
>>  (posting-style
>>   (signature-file "~/signatura")
>>   (address "jm.bornier@free.fr")))

[...]

I can't explain what the uidvalidity is, in my emacs it is automatically
added, and when I used debian it wasn't... (al the rest worked all right
though).
As for your settings, when dealing with a ml, I believe you should
declare it as a ml. Also it is better to do this part of customization
not in your .gnus but with the "G p" command.
Then when preparing a mail to a ml, you have to type "C-u a" in the group
buffer with cursor in the line of the ml's group.
hope I'm clear enough ...
cheers,
--
Jean Magnan de Bornier
3 Cours Victor Hugo, 13980 Alleins   France