Re: Gnus-registry problems

From: Svend Tollak Munkejord
Subject: Re: Gnus-registry problems
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:46:10 +0200

Today, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004, stm+direct_reply@bacchus.pvv.org wrote:
>
>> Ted wrote:
>>> If you get more than one debug call, the article subject is in
>>> multiple groups somehow.  If you get just one, there's a bug.
>>
>> Here's the Backtrace (but I don't know how to use the debugger):
>
> Hit 'c' to continue.  I need to know what happens the second time
> this is triggered, if at all.

When I hit 'c', the debugger just exited.

> Generally you can hit 'c' for non-fatal debugger calls, and 'q' to
> back out of a fatal call.

OK. Thanks.

>>> We already do that in gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent:
>>>
>>> (message-fetch-field "in-reply-to")
>>>
>>> is it not working correctly?
>>
>> I don't think so. In the e-mail we're discussing, I inserted an
>> empty References header, and, unfortunately, it didn't get split
>> according to the Subject. However, Gnus still inserted the
>> In-Reply-To header, which didn't seem to be used. (Else I guess the
>> e-mail would have been split correctly/as expected).
>
> References is taken first, then iff it was not found In-Reply-To is
> used.  So make sure you test with a message that has no References
> header.

Ah. I had used an empty References header, since if I just delete it,
Gnus reinserts one when I send the message. I don't know how to make a
message with an In-Reply-To header, but without a References header
using Gnus.

I tried the following, which might be a faulty method: I copied the
message ('B c'), and edited it, ('e'), deleting the empty
References. When I eval-ed gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent, it
said the same as before, that is,

gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent (extra tracking) traced subject Ibsens
ripsbusker to group nnmaildir:mail.foo
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent: too many extra matches for nil
nil

> Should we make the registry take In-Reply-To if References exists
> but is empty?

Perhaps it doesn't make much sense. It just that I knew how to make an
empty References, but now how to delete it.

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord