Re: Converting to Gnus

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Converting to Gnus
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:48:33 -0500

Neil Woods <neil@suespammers.org> writes:

>> You can mix them.  Pass all mail through SA first, then if it's not
>> spam send it to ifile.  You can do this inside Gnus with spam.el, or
>> outside Gnus with procmail.  As with fetchmail, the procmail solution
>> may be slightly faster but you won't have an all-in-one setup.  In
>> addition, if Gnus splits your mail there are small advantages to using
>> spam.el and the registry.
>
> Thanks. I think I will go for the all-in-one setup. I'm currently
> reading through the Gnus tutorial and the manual at gnus.org.

You may want to rethink that a bit.  I'm an experienced gnus user but
not really a very savvy computer nerd or programmer.

I like to handle mail outside gnus with fetchmail and procmail.  If you
are familiar with procmail already its a fair bit easier to learn and
use than the gnus splitting stuff.  Especially `Fancy splitting' which
is what you'll need to come close to the versatility of procmail.

One note I didn't see mentioned though is that fetchmail/procmail also
means `sendmail' or another MTA will need to be configged and running.
But you'd know that already I guess.

It's easy to integrate spamassassin, bogofilter and other mail
handling software into procmail.  You may have enough to do with gnus
just learning how to use gnus main functions.  Gnus is so powerfull a
reader it has to be somewhat complex to learn.

But also you can double the versatility by using procmail ahead of
gnus.  You'd still be able to apply gnus splitting powers to the mail
after procmail has had at it.